Monday, September 14, 2009

Configure, Make, and Make install

Installing NLED from source.

I downloaded this using wget and it didn't have a configure feature so I used make right away. When using the make command I received an error saying that I was missing ncurses.h,so I had to go and download the ncurses package and configure it to my system, make (which took a while), and then make install. After I had this package fully installed I re-ran make for NLED and everything worked.

Installing Ettercap-NG-0.7.3 (Sniffer)

I downloaded this using wget (link location). I had to configure this before I could run make. The first issue was that libpcap was not found, so I had to search on google and downloaded libpcap0.8-dev.

The second issue was that libnet not found, this was a particularly annoying problem because after trial and error and google research it would seem that this version of ettercap was dependant on ONLY libnet1.1.2.1 even though it said I could get a higher version. So after downloading a higher version and failing I had to download libnet1.1.2.1.tar.gz .

Lastly, I had to configure ettercap, make, and make install it. It installed into the /usr/local directory so I just moved the executable file over to my home directory and was able to run it. You have to specify whether you want to view it in text mode or in Ncurses mode or GTK mode with -T -C -G respectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment